Summer is upon us so what will you do in your free time to learn more about your family history?
Here are 5 Tips for Summer Family History Fun
· Create a list of family members to search for in a cemetery. Make a scavenger hunt sheet or BINGO card for all of the family members. Have your kids help you locate the graves to complete the sheets.
· Dig out your old recipes and prepare a baked good or meal that one of your ancestors used to make.
· Gather together with grandparents and aunts and uncle to go through old photographs. How many people can you identify? Write the names on the backs of the photos.
· Visit a place your family used to live or a place you grew up. Show your kids your old haunts and tell them the stories that go with those places.
· Encourage your child to keep a journal or create a scrapbook over the summer about their daily events, what they ate, where they went, memorable moments, etc. It is important not only to research and remember the past but also preserve the present.
Are you interested in starting your family history but are not sure where to start? Visit the Generations Store and look for the Family Tree Projects for $3.99 PDF. While you are there, you can purchase the genealogy textbooks for students and adults at 20% off through June 30, 2012. The books eligible for this discount are Branching Out: Genealogy for 1st-3rd Grade Students, Lessons 1-30; Branching Out: Genealogy for 4th-8th Grade Students, Lessons 1-30; Branching Out: Genealogy for High School Students, Lessons 1-30; and Branching Out: Genealogy Adults. Just use the code IDG20JUNE at the Generations Store.
You can also find more information on The In-Depth Genealogist.
- Generations Release Two New Books (generationsbiz.com)