Continuing with James E. Shannon, today I will discuss his family briefly. James married Elizabeth Galbraith 16 Nov 1865 in Lawrence Co., Arkansas, just a few months after being discharged from the 2nd Arkansas Cavalry (Union) Civil War unit.
The couple resided in Lawrence Co., until 1870 where they are found in Clinton, Texas Co., Missouri. James and Elizabeth had the following children:
- William Henry Clay Shannon b. 26 Sept 1866 in Imboden, Lawrence, AR
- Malinda H. Shannon b. 29 Dec 1867 in AR
- Marion Emmet (M.E.) Shannon b. 11 Mar 1870 in Mountain Grove, Wright, MO
- George S. Shannon b. 17 Aug 1871 in MO
- Robert Jackson Shannon b. 10 Aug 1873 in Texas Co., MO
- James W. Shannon b. 1 Oct 1879 in MO
- Fred F. Shannon b. 25 Mar 1886 in MO
Fred F. Shannon continues the line of descent to my friend of a friend.
James E. Shannon was a farmer his whole life, as was his father before him, from the records I have gathered. James owned many acres of land in Lawrence Co., (became Sharp Co.) Arkansas in 1861. When he moved to Missouri he again purchased land. According to the U.S. Federal Census, James owned $200 in Real Property and $200 in Personal Property in 1860 and in 1870 he increased his Real Property value to $500 and his Personal Property value to $225.
Check back for more on the Shannon family as I reveal information about James’s Civil War life.