There is a wonderful book called, “U.S. Military Records,” by James C. Neagles available. No matter where you are in the process of learning about the various military records, this book is a must have for every genealogist.
Neagles breaks the book out into several chapters:
- Types of Records: Records Created During Military Service
- Types of Records: Post-Service Records and Records Relating to Civilian Affairs
- Resources of the National Archives Microfilm Room
- Resources of the National Archives Reference Branches
- Resources of the National Archives Repositories Outside Washington, D.C.
- Resources of the History and Research Centers in Washington, D.C.
- State Resources
- Published Sources: Works that Pertain to More than One State
There is so much information packed into this book it is one you will refer to over and over again. Check it out at your local library or pick it up online through Amazon or Barnes and Noble.